Robert D. Boyd Founding Shareholder
Robert D. Boyd is a co-founder of Boyd Collar Nolen Tuggle & Roddenbery and a leader in family law who has received recognition from his colleagues across Georgia and the nation. Best Lawyers selected him as the Atlanta Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2013 and he was named one of the “Top 10” lawyers in all areas of practice in the 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions of Georgia Super Lawyers. His peers in family law elected him as president of the Georgia Chapter of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers from 2013 through 2014. He also has served as chair of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia. For more than 15 years, he has been selected by the Best Lawyers in America in family law.
The respect for Bob reflects his deep experience in all aspects of family law and a results-driven approach that comes from his realistic assessment of cases and honesty with clients. Bob’s clients also benefit from his knowledge of other aspects of the law and his life experiences beyond family law. He started his career at King & Spalding in the firm’s litigation practice and then worked as a federal prosecutor before beginning his career in family law. His tenure in the criminal division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office honed his courtroom skills and helped him develop an understanding for trial tactics and advocacy.
A graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, he served as an army officer for seven years and was trained as a Ranger and Paratrooper before entering law school. Bob’s first career was as an infantry officer in the U.S. Army. This diverse background as a peer leader among Georgia family lawyers, an Army officer and federal prosecutor, as well as a father of three children and as an elder at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Atlanta provide Bob with keen insight into clients’ circumstances and helps him work efficiently toward resolutions that address their goals in the divorce process.
Knowing that the pathway through divorce is often complex and emotionally charged, Bob is proud to have advocated for hundreds of families, serving as a trusted advisor and advocate.
- J.D., West Virginia University, 1983 (Editor-in-Chief, West Virginia Law Review)
- B.S., United States Military Academy at West Point, 1973
- State Bar of Georgia
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Georgia Chapter, President, 2013-2014
- Family Law Section, State Bar of Georgia, Chair, 2000-2001
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Cobb Bar Association
- Weltner Family Law Inn of Court
- International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL)
- West Virginia
- Listed, “Top 10 Super Lawyers,” Georgia Super Lawyers 2015 – 2018
- Listed, “Top 100 Super Lawyers,” Georgia Super Lawyers 2004 – 2018
- Listed, 2013 Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America, Family Law
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America, Family Law 2001-2018
- Listed, “Best Lawyers in Atlanta” by Atlanta Magazine
- Listed, “Legal Elite,” Georgia Trend
- “Prenups May Need Amending After Alimony Deduction Repeal,” Law360, 2019
- “When an Equity Partner Divorces, Transparency Is Key to Protecting Firm, Clients,” The Daily Report, 2016
- “Family Law in Georgia,” ABA Family Law Summary
- “Relocation After Bodne,” State Bar of Georgia, Family Law Newsletter
- “Prenuptial Agreements,” State Bar of Georgia
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- “New Techniques for Property Division,” Family Law Institute
- “How to Conduct Temporary Hearings,” Family Law Institute
- “Evidence for the Family Law Attorney,” Family Law Institute
- “Recent Developments in Family Law,” State Bar of Georgia’s Family Law Institute
- “Practical Discovery Techniques in Family Law,” State Bar of Georgia