Richard M. Nolen Founding Shareholder
Clients trust Richard M. Nolen for his respectful approach to the divorce process and his ability to solve difficult problems involving division of marital property and financial issues, custody, child support and prenuptial agreements. A founding member of Boyd Collar Nolen Tuggle & Roddenbery, he has been honored by his colleagues across Georgia for his leadership, high ethical standards and knowledge of family law.
Richard’s training in business – he has an M.B.A. – is immensely helpful to clients who must divide interests in family businesses, executive compensation plans or other complex assets. His approach is always to build a relationship of trust and candor with clients, to keep them fully informed and work toward realistic and efficient solutions that allow them to get on with their lives. Richard is a skilled litigator who aggressively asserts his clients’ interests but he also has broad experience in working collaboratively, without drama, toward solutions that focus on results, especially when minor children are involved. Richard understands that every case is unique and that the divorce lawyer often plays a key role in helping clients get the support and resources they need to rebuild their lives.
Colleagues in family law have long shown their respect for Richard, who frequently lectures on current and emerging legal issues. He has been chair of the Family Law Sections of both the State Bar of Georgia and the Atlanta Bar Association, editor of the legal publications Family Lawyer and The Family Law Review, and president of the Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court. He is a Fellow of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a distinction earned by only 31 of the more than 37,000 lawyers in Georgia. Richard also has been consistently recognized by peers in Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers and Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite, all listings that rely on polling or feedback from other lawyers.
After growing up in a military family as the third of four sons of a Navy pilot, Richard began practicing law in Alabama following law school, before settling in Georgia.
Richard and his wife, a lawyer and CPA, have a son in college and a daughter in high school.
- J.D., University of Alabama School of Law, 1984
- M.B.A., University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1997
- B.A., University of Alabama, 1981
- State Bar of Georgia
- Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court, President, 2008-2010
- Family Law Section, State Bar of Georgia, Chair, 2004-2005
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Family Law Section, Atlanta Bar Association, Chair, 2000-2001
- Cobb County Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Farrah Law Society, Board of Trustees, Member
- Lawyers Foundation of Georgia, Life Fellow
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama Trial Lawyers Association, President, 1990-1991
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Georgia Super Lawyers, 2004 – Present
- Listed, “Top 100 Super Lawyers,” Georgia Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law
- Atlanta Magazine’s Super Lawyers
- “Legal Elite,” by Georgia Trend Magazine
- Editor, Atlanta Bar Association’s Family Lawyer
- Editor, Georgia State Bar’s Family Law Review
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- “Spouse Busters,” Family Law Institute, 2010
- “Electronic Evidence,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Seminar, 2009
- “Prenuptial Agreements,” Sports and Entertainment Law/Intellectual Property Law Section Seminar, 2008