Margaret Simpson Associate
Since graduating law school in 2008, Margaret has focused her practice exclusively on family law matters including divorce, alimony, asset division, child custody, child support, contempt and modification actions, as well as legitimation and grandparent visitation cases. Margaret has a specific interest in appellate cases. With the experience of handling numerous appeals before the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Georgia, Margaret is equipped to navigate the complicated appeals process and guide her clients to the best possible outcome.
Margaret received her undergraduate degree from the University of Montevallo with a major in Political Science and a minor in Pre-Law. She earned her Juris Doctor at the University of Alabama School of Law where she also worked as a law clerk and gained valuable experience in the areas of family law, consumer protection and employment discrimination.
After law school, Margaret returned to her hometown of Montgomery, Alabama where she began her career as law clerk to the senior judge of Montgomery County’s Family Court Division. She was appointed as Special Master and presided over temporary hearings in domestic relations cases. She heard evidence and made written recommendations to the judge regarding temporary custody, child support and alimony issues.
Since moving to Georgia in 2011, Margaret has represented clients in trials and mediations of family law matters throughout the Metro-Atlanta area.
Margaret resides in Buckhead, and when not pursuing justice for children and families, she enjoys cooking, gardening and playing trivia games.
- JD, University of Alabama School of Law, 2008
- BS, University of Montevallo, 2005
- State Bar of Georgia, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Georgia, Appellate Practice Section
- Georgia, 2011
- Alabama, 2008
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2017 – present
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 10 Best Attorneys for Exceptional and Outstanding Client Service, 2017
- “Business Goodwill in Divorce Settlements: A Primer,” Divorce Magazine, 2022
- “Defining & Determining Business Goodwill in Divorce Settlements,” Family Lawyer Magazine, 2022
- “Limitations Georgia Courts Face in Separate Maintenance Actions,” Family Lawyer Magazine, 2020
- “How is a Legal Separation Different from a Divorce in Georgia?,” Divorce Magazine, 2020
- “Live-In Lover Complaints: Think Twice Before You File,” Georgia Bar Journal, 2013